What do I need to get married in Cambodia?
Cambodian Marriage Basic Requirements
- Certified copy of birth certificates.
- Valid Passports and certified copies (obtained from your Embassy in Cambodia or the Cambodian Embassy in your resident country)
- Visas and photocopies.
- Certificate of No Impediment/Affidavit of Single Status.
What is legal marriage in Cambodia?
Cambodian law forbids child marriages, setting the minimum age for marriage at 18.  Exceptionally, a person can marry at the age of 16.  However, in conformity with cultural and indigenous traditions, Cambodian girls marry young.
Who pays for the wedding in Cambodia?
Courtship and wedding ceremonies can be conducted in one day. … In Cambodia a man pays dowry to the parents of the girl he marries. He also pays for all expenses of the wedding ceremonies. Girls’ families may demand huge dowries as a demonstration that the man will be able to care for his wife.
Can a foreigner marry a Cambodian woman?
Cambodian citizens are allowed to get married with foreigners and foreigners are able to marry Cambodian citizens. They must follow the law will have effect on couple who gets married.
How do I apply for a marriage certificate in Cambodia?
How to apply
- Both parties with the intended to marry must visit the Khmer or embassy/consulate of Cambodia with all the required documents and photocopies.
- Submit your writing request form application to the Khmer.
Can Americans get married in Cambodia?
The MFA has assured the U.S. Embassy that it will accept marriage applications in which only the passport copies and affidavits of single status have been certified. … Since 2018, the Cambodian government has required male U.S. citizens wishing to marry Cambodians to establish a monthly income of at least US $2,500.
What is legal marriage?
The Legal Definition of Marriage
Legally speaking, marriage is a contract made in conjunction with the law, where a free man and a free woman reciprocally engage to live with each other during their joint lives, in the union which ought to exist between husband and wife.
How many wives can you have in Cambodia?
In theory a man could have only one wife. Divorce is possible but is looked on askance by the community. A magistrate may legalize the divorce. Both parents have obligations for the continuing support of any children and can remarry if they wish.
What is the law concerning marriage and family?
Marriage and Family
1. Men and women of full age, without any limitation due to race, nationality or religion, have the right to marry and to found a family. They are entitled to equal rights as to marriage, during marriage and at its dissolution.
How much does a wedding cost in Cambodia?
Middle-class families typically budget around $20,000 for a wedding, while an upper-class wedding may run $70,000 to $80,000, according to Ms. Sambath. But even this is peanuts compared to what Cambodia’s most influential families spend on lavish wedding parties.