What is the equivalent of spinach in the Philippines?
Waterleaf makes a good substitute for spinach and can be cooked just the same way.
Is Alugbati a spinach?
Alugbati is also known as basella, Malabar spinach, Indian spinach or vine spinach. It has dark green leaves similar to regular spinach but with green-purple stems. … It can be cooked in the same way and, like spinach, is a good source of a number of essential nutrients, including iron.
What can substitute spinach?
How to Substitute Spinach
- Use dark, green lettuce for salads in place of raw spinach.
- Replace regular spinach with Chinese spinach.
- Use Swiss chard or beet greens in recipes that call for spinach.
- Try turnip greens or kale to replace spinach. …
- Use escarole or sorrel instead of spinach.
Is waterleaf a spinach?
Waterleaf is a vegetable that’s known by many names. Its names include Ceylon spinach, Florida spinach, Surinam Purslane, cariru, and more. … While waterleaf is native to the Americas and the Caribbean, it has been cultivated in many places across the world.
Can you grow spinach in tropical climates?
Most people are familiar with traditional, cooler climate greens like spinach and silverbeet, however there’s a whole world of alternative greens that come from the tropical regions of Asia and the South Pacific.