Who introduced abaca in the Philippines?
The plant, native to the Philippines, achieved importance as a source of cordage fibre in the 19th century. In 1925 the Dutch began cultivating it in Sumatra, and the U.S. Department of Agriculture established plantings in Central America.
Where is the origin of abaca in the Philippines?
Also called manila hemp, abaca is extracted from the leaf sheath around the trunk of the abaca plant (Musa textilis), a close relative of the banana, native to the Philippines and widely distributed in the humid tropics.
What is abaca fiber in the Philippines?
Abaca, internationally known as Manila hemp, is endemic to the Philippines. The Philippines dominates the global abaca trade as the country supplies about 87.5 percent of the world’s abaca fiber requirements and Ecuador and Costa Rica the remaining 12.5 percent as of 2016.
What is Manila plant?
Manila hemp, also known as abacá, is a type of buff-colored fiber obtained from Musa textilis (a relative of edible bananas), which is likewise called Manila hemp as well as abacá. It is mostly used for pulping for a range of uses, including speciality papers.
What is the English word for abaca?
abaca in British English
1. a Philippine plant, Musa textilis, related to the banana: family Musaceae. Its leafstalks are the source of Manila hemp. 2. another name for Manila hemp.
What does abaca mean in English?
1 : a strong fiber obtained from the leafstalk of a banana (Musa textilis) native to the Philippines. — called also Manila hemp. 2 : the plant that yields abaca.